The Big Powerhorn Ski Patrol ACADEMY offers training courses for NEW PATROL CANDIDATES AS WELL AS FOR CURRENT PATROLLERS to enhance their skills.
The minimum training requirements to become a CANDIDATE FOR the Big Powderhorn Ski Patrol are:
- Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) including classroom and practical training in managing outdoor emergency situations. Successful completion of OEC requires a passing score on nationally standardized written and practical examinations. This material must be refreshed by all patrollers every year prior to the ski season.
- CPR for Healthcare Providers Professional level AHA or Red Cross CPR training is required for all candidates and NSP requires all patrollers to refresh CPR on a yearly basis.
- Ski & Toboggan Training / Outdoor Emergency Transport Designed to teach patrollers to safely transport injured guests. Successful completion requires demonstrating skills in both skiing and a toboggan handing in a practical examination, and must be refreshed by all patrollers every year during the ski season.
- Chairlift Evacuation Training Lift evac training focuses on safely evacuating a chairlift. This material must be refreshed by all patrollers every year prior to the ski season.
- FEMA ICS-100 Introduction to the Incident Command System
Many additional training opportunities are available to expand your skills once you become a member of the big powderhorn ski patrol. More information on required courses is available at the links below. FOR COURSE AVAILABILITY, CONTACT US OR CHECK THE ONLINE EVENTS CALENDAR.
Do you already have credentials in a health care/first aid field (EMT/Paramedic/etc) ? You may be eligible to join with modified training requirements and/or challenge the test, so ask us about that! Click here for more information and to contact us!
The minimum requirements to MAINTAIN ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP IN THE BIG POWDERHORN SKI PATROL are:
- Patrol 10 full days per ski season (opening sweep to closing sweep)
- Attendance and completion of annual Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) refresher
- Valid CPR for the Professional Rescuer card from AHA/Red Cross, with ANNUAL demonstration of skills with instructor per NSP policy
- Attendance and completion of annual Chairlift Evacuation Training
- Attendance and completion of annual Ski & Toboggan Training / Outdoor Emergency Transport refresher for alpine patrollers
- Payment of NSP annual dues (Our patrol does not have local dues)